Elan Valley – a Top Gear destination!
You may have noticed something a bit familiar watching last weekend’s Top Gear. The Elan Valley had a starring role as a Land Rover Defender (driven by Richard Hammond) hauled itself up Claerwen Dam, and apparently back down as well.
Since driving your vehicle up a dam isn’t exactly allowed (or safe for that matter), here are five other adventurous opportunities available in the Cambrian Mountains:
- While it won’t be vertical, you can still enjoy a nice drive through the valley. Much of the area can be seen from your vehicle, including the dams and reservoirs. Don’t forget to stop by the Elan Valley Information Centre to pick up a map first!
- If you’d like to ride along in a Land Rover like the one featured, ranger tours of the area are available as you join a ranger on patrol. Don’t worry. You won’t be doing any dangerous stunts in this Rover.
- So you want a more physical holiday, but you’d still like to have some sort of mode of transportation. Try cycling through the valley for a view of the landscapes and wildlife. Bring your own or hire a bike at the Visitor Centre.
- You can walk virtually anywhere here, including along Craig Cnwch on a two-hour hike. Guided and unguided walks are available throughout the year.
- Educating yourself on the area is just as good as exploring. Take a break from the adrenaline rush and learn more about your surroundings by discovering new things about the valley.
Thinking of visiting the valley? Take a look here and get some more ideas for your trip to the Cambrian Mountains.