Getting romantic in the Cambrian Mountains…
Valentine’s is now officially just a few short days away and, be honest, you probably haven’t even thought about that grand romantic gesture you’ve been promising for ages. Lucky for you, the wild and rugged landscapes of the Cambrian Mountains are home to countless ways to prove to your loved one that they’re the only one for you. Here are top ten romantic ideas…
10. What could be more romantic than whisking your loved one away for a special little holiday? For a weekend almost completely off the grid without sacrificing luxury, stay a night or two at The Straw Cottage at Ty Gwyn Farm. With no hints of modern technology to distract you, enjoy both the outdoors and the company of your loved one this Valentine’s day.
9. Then there’s always The Falcondale, with its countless luxury rooms and fantastic restaurant. They’re even offering a unique ‘romantic getaway’ which includes a bottle of house Champagne with handmade chocolates and a Temple spa gift in your room on arrival, followed by a candle-lit gourmet 7-course tasting dinner menu.
8. The best way to someone’s heart is often through their stomach, so why not buy some sweets for your sweet at Chocablock Chocolate Studio in Corris Craft Centre. Or perhaps make a chocolate bar for your love and decorate it in one of their workshops.
7. The Cambrian Mountains is home to some of the darkest skies in the UK, so you could always stay out after dark and discover the night sky together. It’s also a fantastic excuse to snuggle…
6. What about that romantic dinner? There are a great many locations to choose from, but one of the very best is the award-winning restaurant at the Metropole Hotel, which makes the very best of local produce including venison, wild game and seafood from the Welsh coast.
5. And for wildlife lovers? Honestly, you can just pick a spot. Any spot. Nearly everywhere you go in the Cambrian Mountains you’ll find an array of wildlife just waiting to be captured by your cameras. Maybe you’ll even discover a new species together?
4. Take an alternative safari together. There might not be any lions or tigers, but you’re almost certain to be bitten by the love bug as you explore the gorgeous landscape from the comfort of Cambrian Safaris‘ Land Rover. They’ve also organised a ‘Romantic Break’ package with Gwesty Cymru in Aberystwyth, including tours of the picturesque estatea of the Ystwyth valley and locations used in the ‘Hinterland T.V. series
3. Strata Florida (Ystrad Fflur in Welsh) translates as Vale of Flowers, and this abbey, as well as being a place of great religious significance, is a truly beautiful place to visit. It’s also just a short walk from the picturesque town of Tregaron.
2. Devils Bridge – it might not have the prettiest name, but it is home to some absolutely beautiful scenery. And oddly enough, it’s actually three bridges. Your significant other might question your choice of venue, but will quickly fall in love with the serene landscape.
1. And should everything go so well that you eventually end up looking to get hitched, why not make your wedding extra special by holding the ceremony in the central tower of the Pen-y-Garreg dam! It’ll be a truly unique location, with the stunning Elan Valley reaching out all around you. Experience the rush of the biggest day of your life as tonnes of water cascades in the background.